Learn about our legacy features included in VoiceQ
Official notification of no further support for ReWire.
If you are using ReWire continue to use it, however, we will be limited in our ability to provide technical support. For the following reasons we recommend MIDI and will support your transition ;
1. Accuracy - Every MIDI packet is delivered with a very accurate timestamp which VoiceQ can synchronize with and DAW-based on the timestamp. ReWire does not offer the timestamp
2. Application launch order - MIDI does not require a specific order of launching applications. In contrast, ReWire does require a specific order, if a user doesn’t follow the order, the user must restart all the related applications.
3. Standard Protocol - MIDI is a standard protocol, in contrast, ReWire is not a standard protocol. MIDI comes with the system whereas ReWire must be installed separately.
4. Configuration - MIDI is a machine application-wise configuration, so once it is set up, it is easier to use. IN contrast, ReWire needs to be configured for every session.
5. Updates - Under Apple’s tightened Mac security policy, it will increasingly difficult to update and to distribute the ReWire plug-in. Future-proofing for ReWire appears weak.
You may still use ReWire, but we won’t be able to provide further technical support.
Rewire plug-in installer is available for users to take advantage of ReWire support in VoiceQ Pro. ReWire has been added to VoiceQ to create the best synchronization between VoiceQ and external audio software. Unlike MIDI ReWire has a lower latency and has been proved to be the best method of integrating recording software. Please update to the latest version of VoiceQ software to use the ReWire plug-in.
ReWire plug-in support is for 64-bit platforms only. Users running Pro Tools 10 or below will need to upgrade to a 64-bit version to take full advantage of the ReWire plug-in. We recommend systems 10.9 or higher to take advantage of ReWire.
Note: Users may need to remove their plug-ins preferences file from Pro Tools to scan for the new ReWire plug-in if it does not appear on initial load.
1. Install from installer file Bundle
2. Check install is correctly placed in directory ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software
3. Delete Pro Tools Plug-in Preferences “InstalledAAXPlugIns” – This will allow Pro Tools to re-scan all installed plug-ins (note: This will only need to be done once). ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/
4. Run Pro Tools and wait for Plug-ins to be recognised.
5. Insert Instrument track - Track>New…
6. Add ReWire plug-in - INSERTS A-E
7. Open VoiceQ and Create a New Project
8. Navigate to VoiceQ>Preferences>DAW
9. Select ReWire from the dropdown menu and close Preferences.
10. In Pro Tools navigate to Setup>Session and set Timecode/Feet+Frames Rate to match the Frame-rate from VoiceQ.
11.Be sure the 'Chase External' icon is selected and select a line.
You should have synched chase between Pro Tools and VoiceQ
12. Test playback on both VoiceQ and Pro Tools. If playback does not initiate, check that you do not have any other MIDI/ReWire devices connected to the active DAW.
I CAN'T VIEW THE REWIRE PLUG-IN IN PRO TOOLS, WHERE IS IT?
If VoiceQ ReWire is not visible you will need to delete your 'InstalledAXXPlugIns' file. This will allow Pro Tools to re-scan all installed plug-ins (note: This will only need to be done once).
Open Finder, Select 'Go' and enter the following ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/
WHEN PLAYING A LINE FOR THE FIRST TIME ONLY VQ PLAYS. STOPPING AND PLAYING AGAIN ONLY PROTOOLS PLAYS AND I GET MIDI WARNING FROM VQ. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
When the error message is visible VoiceQ will default to MIDI. You will need to save and close both VQ and PT. When you re-open VQ be sure that you set your output to ReWire from VoiceQ>Preferences>Global (Tab)>MIDI/ReWire (Image below). Also check that you do not have any other active MIDI plug-in(s) running to your DAW as they can sometimes disrupt the signal from VQ.
VOICEQ IS SHOWING AN ERROR, REWIRE NOT WORKING?
You will need to close both your DAW (Pro Tools/Logic) and VoiceQ. Often the application cache plug-in data and the instance needs to be closed to reset the ReWire throughput. When the error message is visible VoiceQ will default to MIDI, be sure that you set VoiceQ to ReWire once you re-open your project at VoiceQ>Preferences>Global>DAW
CAN I USE PRE-ROLL WITH REWIRE?
You can set the Pre-roll in ProTools/Logic the same as you often do with any other project. Because of ReWire's precision you will not need to do anything on VoiceQ.
DO I NEED TO INSTALL ANY ADDITIONAL HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE?
ReWire is an entirely software-based function that is built within ReWire-compatible programs. There may be a few rules you need to follow, like closing or opening programs in a particular order, but no drivers or other software accessories are needed.
CAN MY COMPUTER HANDLE REWIRE?
ReWire itself doesn't use up much CPU power; it is simply an interconnection protocol. However, by definition you'll be using two programs together, so your computer needs enough power to run them both comfortably. Generally, this means a decent amount of RAM (e.g., 512 MB) and a fast processor (1 GHz will work fine, although a slower one can work if you don't make too many demands on it).
Software synthesizers tend to require a lot of CPU power, as do signal processors. However, there are ways to reduce the amount of CPU power needed, as covered later in this document.
WHO'S BEHIND REWIRE?
ReWire started with Propellerhead Software, but has since become a true industry standard. SONAR's, Home Studio's, and Project5's embrace of ReWire has taken this level of acceptance even further; more ReWire compatible applications are appearing, and some pre-ReWire applications (such as Arturia's Storm and Image-Line's FruityLoops) are being updated for ReWire compatibility.
Does the use of VoiceQ Applications cause a breach to TPN Assessment?
No, as per MPA guidelines, use of VoiceQ applications do not breach TPN assessment. Cloud-hosted systems and servers are strictly prohibited without the advanced written consent of content owners. Therefore the use of VoiceQ Cloud services may require the approval of the content owner before storing data in the cloud, etc.
I receive a MIDI error in VoiceQ upon playback. How do I fix this?
This can be caused by two variables:
1. Check MIDI beat clock is set to the correct port in ProTools. The Beat Clock controls Playback and often is the cause of this issue. Navigate to 'Setup>MIDI>MIDI Beat Clock...'
2. In the Transport window or Synchronisation options via the transport, you need to select 'GEN MTC'. Once activated both PT and VQ will be in Sync.
Is VoiceQ Writer a cloud based system or native install on a local workstation?
• VoiceQ Writer is a MacOS application, however, we created VoiceQ Cloud as a windows friendly, and cloud-based equivalent.
• VoiceQ Writer (and Pro and Actor) fully integrate with VoiceQ Cloud
• VoiceQ Cloud replicates much but not all of the Mac OS functionality, it does provide advanced project management, collaboration, and reporting functionality
• Voice Cloud is available in 2 forms Manager and Collaborator, the former can set permissions while the latter receives permissions
Recommended MIDI hardware?
We recommend the iConnectivity Mio2. It allows connection between two computers without the need for multiple MIDI senders/receivers.
• Configuration software (download for Mac/PC) makes it simple to create and save routing, merging, and filtering presets. One can be stored on the device and remembered when you power up.
VoiceQ Cloud licensing
1. Clients have the ability to tag in and out different users in Cloud. We can allocate you a large volume of licenses to add as many adaptors/users as desired and the manager of the cloud projects can review the teams that each time milestones are completed.
2. Cloud manager gives the project owners piece of mind by controlling who sees and can edit what on projects via our team’s system.
3. Users need to register to confirm their identity and then they can access and edit projects.
4. Volume can be monitored by VoiceQ Cloud managers.
5. Owners of VoiceQ writer on MacOS can easily access projects in the application and stream the media directly into the system without the need to share scripts and media files.
What do I need to start VoiceQ?
Users will need to sign up and register for an iLok account to use our products. Select the link to register your details and create a user name. Users will then need to download the ilok manager application and follow the installation process. Select the link to download the latest ilok Manager.
Once you have installed the application you need to open it and log in to save your details.
Where do I download VoiceQ software?
New users can download VoiceQ software from our downloads/releases page. You will need to select the version you have purchased a license for. Please note that you will alos need to select the correct application based on the OS you plan to use.
Will a Cloud Manager account allow me to do the adaptation?
Yes, Cloud manager allows for project creation, sharing, editing and adaption all online.
Learn more about cloud on our support page.