Steps on how to use Matchbox with VoiceQ applications to conform scripts and video.
Matchbox is a Change Management solution, aimed at anyone working in post production.
It compares two versions of a reel or episode and finds every cut change, VFX tweak or dialog slip. It reveals the differences, reporting on the damage, and then retimes your sound mix, compositing work, dialog scripts, closed captions, and anything else created to picture.
Matchbox inherits a lot from Conformalizer 4, our Emmy Award winning reconform tool for sound editors, but is a complete rethink of what Change Management can be. It's a completely new product, designed from the ground up using cutting edge tech and hand-rolled algorithms.
You can purchase Matchbox and view its features and tutorials at the following link: https://www.thecargocult.nz/products/matchbox
Conforming support is a feature that our team at VoiceQ have been working on for use with Matchbox. It allows users to easily export and conform their projects in the industry to conform to format and easily import that data into VoiceQ.
1. Export current text file for conforming from VoiceQ
• Navigate to “File>Export Project…>Text for Conforming”
• Select ‘Export’ and save the text file.
• Open Matchbox application
2. Switch Matchbox to “conform type - file, tab-separated”
3. Load .conform file if previously created then skip to step 7, otherwise do 4, 5, 6
4. Load old EDL into OLD panel
5. Load new EDL into the NEW panel
6. Switch to the change panel and "compare"
7. Hit the CONFORM button
• Matchbox will then ask you to locate the file, conform it and save a new file next to it with the _conf suffix.
8. Import the conformed text data back into VoiceQ
1. This only affects the timing of the existing lines.
2. If the line is missing by the conforming (editing) you can choose what to do for the affected lines.
Can I open “VoiceQ Project 3.0” format with older series and versions of VoiceQ?
No, VoiceQ 6.1.0 will be the first version ever to export in the “VoiceQ Project 3.0” format. Users wishing to open projects created in “VoiceQ Project 3.0” format will need to upgrade to version 6.1+. Users can choose which format to save in if they wish to send the project to a user on an older version. If you are having loading issues from external drives or cloud drives we recommend using the new “VoiceQ Project 3.0“ file format over the legacy “VoiceQ Project 2.0” file format.
Can i connect VoiceQ via MIDI or AVID Satellite to Pro Tools on Windows?
You may run VoiceQ on a mac and connect it to Pro tools on windows but it will require a hardware MIDI connection or third party application to run successfully. We do not recommend it, but it is possible to use it in this configuration.
Download rtpMIDI and set it up just like the macOS set-up guide you may view on Setting up your studio.
For AVID Satellite it is not recommended, however is still possible to run over a network protocol.
Does the use of VoiceQ Applications cause a breach to TPN Assessment?
No, as per MPA guidelines, use of VoiceQ applications do not breach TPN assessment. Cloud-hosted systems and servers are strictly prohibited without the advanced written consent of content owners. Therefore the use of VoiceQ Cloud services may require the approval of the content owner before storing data in the cloud, etc.
How do I cancel or suspend my license?
To cancel or suspend your license please fill our cancellation form to confirm with our sales staff. Please note that you must provide us with at least 10 days prior notice before your cancellation request will become effective.
VoiceQ will generally offer refunds for any purchase within the previous 30 days, to any customer who accidentally purchased the wrong product or discovered after purchasing that the product did not work as expected. A service fee may be deducted where our payments provider refuses to refund their own fees.
How do I connect VoiceQ to Pro Tools?
You can connect VoiceQ via MIDI using an in-built IAC or share a connection over a network to another device. To learn more visit Setting up your studio.
How do I upgrade a license(s)?
To upgrade your license, you can contact our support team or If you wish to move from an monthly to annual you can cancel your current term and purchase a new license via our purchase portal.
How does VoiceQ Cloud licensing work?
1. Clients have the ability to tag in and out different users in Cloud. We can allocate you a large volume of licenses to add as many adaptors/users as desired and the manager of the cloud projects can review the teams that each time milestones are completed.
2. Cloud manager gives the project owners piece of mind by controlling who sees and can edit what on projects via our team’s system.
3. Users need to register to confirm their identity and then they can access and edit projects.
4. Volume can be monitored by VoiceQ Cloud managers.
5. Owners of VoiceQ writer on MacOS can easily access projects in the application and stream the media directly into the system without the need to share scripts and media files.
How does VoiceQ integrate with ProTools for recording?
To connect VoiceQ, you have two options: you can either connect it via Avid Satellite or MIDI using the in-built IAC, or you can share the connection over a network to another device. For detailed instructions on setting up your studio, please visit the 'Setting up your studio' section.
I receive a MIDI error in VoiceQ upon playback. How do I fix this?
This can be caused by two variables:
1. Check MIDI beat clock is set to the correct port in ProTools. The Beat Clock controls Playback and often is the cause of this issue. Navigate to 'Setup>MIDI>MIDI Beat Clock...'
2. In the Transport window or Synchronisation options via the transport, you need to select 'GEN MTC'. Once activated both PT and VQ will be in Sync.
Is VoiceQ Writer a cloud based system or native install on a local workstation?
• VoiceQ Writer is a MacOS application, however, we created VoiceQ Cloud as a windows friendly, and cloud-based equivalent.
• VoiceQ Writer (and Pro and Actor) fully integrate with VoiceQ Cloud
• VoiceQ Cloud replicates much but not all of the Mac OS functionality, it does provide advanced project management, collaboration, and reporting functionality
• Voice Cloud is available in 2 forms Manager and Collaborator, the former can set permissions while the latter receives permissions
Recommended MIDI hardware?
We recommend any general USB midi interface including the iConnectivity Mio2, Nektar MIDIFLEX4 or the mioXC. We strongly recommend using a Network interface but if one is not available to use then feel free to use hardware.
What are the benefits of using VoiceQ with AVID Protools vs using AVID Protools on its own?
When using VoiceQ with Protools, you can enjoy several benefits compared to using Protools on its own:
i. Interoperability with OOONA: VoiceQ allows seamless import and export of files between the two applications, facilitating easy sharing. This is especially useful for script updates and post-recording edits.
ii. Pre-recording script features: VoiceQ offers comprehensive reporting capabilities, including line counts and character word/letter counts. These built-in features benefit the casting of voice actors and provide project oversight.
iii. Filtered character lines during recording: VoiceQ enables you to filter the lines specific to each character, providing a defined list for voice-over (VO) recording. Both the audio engineer and director in a studio setup have full visibility of the script. This allows for easy export of the as-recorded script post-recording.
iv. Script display options for actors: Actors can view the script on screen using various methods such as Rythmoband, plain text, subtitles with the classic 3-beep method, or a combination of modern and traditional approaches.
v. As-Recorded script integration: VoiceQ allows you to incorporate all updates from the studio recording into one project file, resulting in an as-recorded script. This feature is particularly useful for post-production subtitling.
vi. Audio Description capabilities: With VoiceQ's As-Recorded script, you can easily perform Audio Description, with in-out points visually displayed on the timeline for users' convenience.
By utilizing VoiceQ alongside Protools, these benefits enhance the overall workflow, efficiency, and accuracy of the recording process.
What are the primary benefits of the OOONA and VoiceQ Dubbing and Audio description workflows?
The OOONA and VoiceQ Dubbing and Audio Description workflows provide several primary benefits:
Overall, the OOONA and VoiceQ Dubbing and Audio Description workflows offer a comprehensive and efficient solution for managing and enhancing the dubbing and audio description processes. They enable improved productivity, accuracy, quality control, collaboration, and inclusivity, resulting in a seamless and engaging experience for the viewers.
What do I need to start VoiceQ?
Users will need to sign up and register for an iLok account to use our products. Select the link to register your details and create a user name. Users will then need to download the ilok manager application and follow the installation process. Select the link to download the latest ilok Manager.
Once you have installed the application you need to open it and log in to save your details.
What is VoiceQ Project 3.0?
The new file format is a “VoiceQ Project 3.0 file” which securely contains all project data. It is designed to be more efficient and easier for the application to access than the legacy “VoiceQ Project 2.0 ” file format. If you save a VoiceQ project in the new “VoiceQ Project 3.0“ file format you will witness faster load times from external drives and local devices. You will see faster load times, consistent media connection and increased stability when working across multiple devices such as Avid Nexis and Enterprise servers. Our apple silicon version also uses “VoiceQ Project 3.0” as its default to future-proof projects.
What is the benefit of the OOONA platform for translation and captioning workflows?
The OOONA platform offers several benefits for translation and captioning workflows:
Overall, the OOONA platform offers an efficient and user-friendly solution for managing translation and captioning workflows, promoting collaboration, saving time, and ensuring transparency throughout the process.
Where do I download VoiceQ software?
New users can download VoiceQ software from our downloads/releases page. You will need to select the version you have purchased a license for. Please note that you will alos need to select the correct application based on the OS you plan to use.
Will a Cloud Manager account allow me to do the adaptation?
Yes, Cloud manager allows for project creation, sharing, editing and adaption all online.